Chapter 8
Challenge Accepted
Max sat cross-legged on the cell floor while Jackie leaned against the bars, deep in conversation.
"...There are about fifty, maybe sixty women here --" Jackie said.
"Minus the twelve released a few days ago," Max interjected.
Jackie blinked, surprised. "That's right! How do you know that?"
Max moved closer. "Listen, you help me, and I'll get us out. All of us."
Denise, who had been eavesdropping, jumped up and ran to the edge of her cell. "You're going to get us out? How?"
"Quiet, girl!" Jackie hissed before turning back to Max. "I had a feeling about you when you came in --"
The creaking double doors cut short their conversation. Samaritan entered with two guards. He walked directly to Max's cell and crossed his arms, staring her down.
"You're here to fight and entertain my eccentric audiences. Do as commanded, and you will get food and water. Win six matches against your sisters here, and you go free. Lose three matches, and you die. No exceptions. Do you understand the rules?" Samaritan explained.
Max strolled to the edge of the cell, putting on a seductive pout. "I'm sorry. Could you come closer and explain it to me again?"
Samaritan moved closer, and Max's hand shot out, grabbing him by the collar and pulling him against the bars. She gripped his throat with her fingers as the guards aimed their firearms at her.
"Let me out of this cage, or I'll rip a hole in your throat so big you could drive a truck through it," Max threatened.
Samaritan struggled against her grip, but she was too strong. "Let him go, or we'll shoot!" one of the guards shouted.
"That's a Good idea. While you're shooting, I'll be performing a little field surgery," Max replied.
Samaritan waved the guards back and pointed at the other cells. One guard ran to Jackie's cell, pulling her close and pressing a gun to her throat.
"Kill me, and you can watch all these pretty girls catch a bullet with their brains," Samaritan choked out.
Max's resolve faltered, and she released her hold. Samaritan dropped to the floor, coughing and gasping.
"Can't blame a gal for trying, can you?" Max said innocently.
Samaritan rubbed his sore throat. "Damn, girl! You've got fire! And a grip like steel. I like that. Let's see what you can do in the ring."
"Oh, I have a bag of tricks you wouldn't believe," Max retorted.
"Really? We'll see. Tonight, you're going to meet my best girl," Samaritan said, looking at the guard. "Send her in against Firestorm. Get her in the holding cell."
The guard spoke into his walkie-talkie. Max turned her back to Samaritan.
"I won’t be in your sick little game!" she declared.
Samaritan waved dismissively. "You will. Or that little gadget on your leg goes boom, and you go bye-bye."
He snapped his fingers and five armed guards surrounded her.
The night was thick with shadows as Logan and Samaritan conversed quietly in Logan's living room. The flicker of candlelight cast dancing silhouettes on the walls, adding an air of intimacy to their hushed conversation. Samaritan absentmindedly stroked Ruth, the cat, his eyes distant and reflective.
"I met a guy who developed these little electronic devices for people on house arrest," Samaritan began, his voice tinged with amusement. "Then I met this other guy working on some adrenaline formula. I bought them both out, and voila."
Logan, leaning back in his chair, studied Samaritan curiously. "So, just where is this company of yours?"
Samaritan laughed heartily, the sound echoing through the room. "Everywhere. I'm never anywhere for too long. Clients get pushy and start asking questions."
Logan chuckled, shaking his head. "I never knew that answering questions was taboo in big business."
Samaritan's expression grew more somber as he continued stroking Ruth. "Information overload is a business hazard. Take my new client. Awesome lady, fine as aged wine and probably just as tasty." His tone darkened. "But she's got too much fight. And she's making my other clients restless. And that's bad for business."
He brightened again, his fingers gently scratching behind Ruth's ears. "I need to tie up a few loose ends, then Ruth and I are gone."
Logan sighed, a touch of regret in his voice. "Well, Sammy, I wish you all the best. Too bad we didn't get to spend more time together."
Their hands met in a firm handshake, a silent understanding passing between them.
"You never know where or when we'll run into each other again," Samaritan grinned.
Bling approached, rubbing Ruth's ears affectionately. "See you later, Ruth."
Samaritan turned to Bling and Logan with a flourish, his smile as enigmatic as ever. "Adios, my friends." He exited, leaving the door slightly ajar, and Bling and Logan exchanged looks of wonderment.
Bling frowned. "Logan, I know he's your friend and all..."
"I know," Logan replied, his voice low. "I don't like him either."
Bling sighed heavily. "I'm going to miss the cat, though."
***
No comments:
Post a Comment